Thursday 24 January 2013

God Revealed in Creation

by Joel Hawting | @jhawting



A few months ago I went on an overnight hike with my Dad into the Victorian High Country, approximately four hours North East of Melbourne. We walked out carrying our heavy gear and scaled Victoria's second highest peak Mount Feathertop (1922 m), which is known to be breathtaking both for its natural beauty, as well as for the effort that is required for climbers to successfully reach the summit.



As you can see from the pictures, the scenery throughout the entire walk was simply amazing. But the view from the top of Mt Feathertop was by far the highlight of the trip. As I was sitting on top of Victoria's second highest peak, I could not help but be overwhelmed with the way in which God's creation reminds us of God's majesty and sovereignty over the earth and all mankind. Psalm 19:1 says:


"The Heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the works of His hands."



Psalm 24:1-2 reads:


"The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it; for He founded it on the seas and established it on the waters."



Likewise, I was reminded of how the Bible states that God has made Himself known to all of mankind through His creation. Romans 1:20 says:


"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse."



Have you ever really stopped to ponder this passage of scripture? The bible suggests that "God's invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made" (v.20). By contemplating and appreciating God's amazing creation - that which "...has been made" - people can come to understand more of God's character and attributes. The God of the universe has revealed Himself to mankind - in one of the many ways - through the glory and magnificence of His creation!

Romans 1:20 finishes with the words "...so that they are without excuse." Now this passage in context is in the middle of teaching around God's wrath against sinful humanity (Romans 1:18-32). There is no need to look deeper into the whole passage in this article; with a quick reading it is clear to see what God is saying to all of humanity through this teaching. He is simply saying: "Guys, you cannot deny My existence. I'm here, I've revealed myself to you through my Creation, and I want to know you!"



God has made Himself known through His Creation. I for one, am glad that I know Him. I am thankful that I am His adopted son, assured of a eternal relationship with Him. I am glad that I have seen Him and have come to know Christ's character and attributes more through time spent in nature with Him. The long, arduous walk to the top of Mt Feathertop was well worth it for me - not only did I reach the summit and reaped the reward of an amazing view, but more importantly I met with my Creator. Nothing can beat that.


What about you? Have you had powerful encounters with God whilst spending time appreciating His creation?



No comments:

Post a Comment